Natural Potassium Supplement: Why is Potassium So Important?People are always saying that eating bananas is good for you. That's because bananas are excellent sources of potassium. For those of you who don't like this fruit and are suffering from low levels of potassium, the next best thing is to take a natural potassium supplement. That way you do your heart and other vital organs a favor.
Potassium's Role in HealthFrom the perspective of physiology, an electrolyte is defined as an ion in our cells, in our blood, or in organic material. Electrolytes regulate fluid levels in the body and also maintain the body's pH balance . They also play a role in maintaining the correct electric activity that occurs between nerve cells so that our body is able to transmit nerve signals properly. Potassium is an important electrolyte.
Health: Potassium Supplements/Tablets?People who are deficient in potassium are advised to take potassium tablets or other forms of potassium supplements. This is because increased levels of potassium are good for maintaining a healthy blood pressure. If you have been diagnosed by your doctor as suffering from hypertension, eat fruits and vegetables high in potassium. If you can't obtain potassium from natural foods, your doctor may recommend that you take a potassium supplement. Comparing results of men who took potassium supplements with the results of men who did not take any, a Harvard study reported that the former group reduced their risks of having a stroke by 60% .
With normal levels of potassium, the body is able to neutralize acids because they restore alkaline salts in the bloodstream. Potassium is also known for regulating the amount of sodium in all cells, restoring membrane potentials, and regulating metabolic activity. Another benefit of potassium is that it helps our cardiovascular and central nervous systems. It transfers nutrients into cells. In performing these functions, our muscles gain more energy.
Potassium's Other BenefitsGiven potassium's benefits, EarthTurns.com felt it important to sell only American-made potassium supplements and potassium tablets. There is evidence that potassium is an essential electrolyte that the human body cannot do without.
Consider these other benefits:
- It contributes to our body's healthy water balance and helps us to recover from illness more quickly
- It relieves arthritic and rheumatic disorders (caused by the build-up of acids in our joints)
- It facilitates disposal of human waste
- It makes our bodies deal with pain more effectively
- It controls headaches and migraines
- It helps cure wounds, bruises and cuts
- It is a critical component for wellness.
- For people who train vigorously, potassium helps maintain energy reserves in muscles
How Does Potassium Work?Formation of potassium compounds requires the binding of potassium to something. Given that our bodies cannot efficiently break down compounds, only a small portion of the potassium we consume is used. For potassium to do its job, it must be in elemental form. This means that the potassium molecule has to be easily absorbed by the cells in our body. This requires it to be inside a water molecule. Potassium must therefore be soluble in water. The problem, however, is that water-soluble materials cannot just build up in the body by themselves.
How Much Potassium Do We Need?As we mentioned earlier, bananas are an excellent source of potassium. So are orange juice, dates (dried or fresh), and apricots. Our bodies need 3,500 mg of potassium daily. If you're taking a potassium supplement or potassium tablet, it must not contain more than 99 mg of absorbable potassium. Our chelated potassium contains 99mg from 595mg of potassium gluconate. If you're taking a multi-vitamin, the potassium content is fine. Just remember this one important advice: if you're taking a potassium supplement, don't take more than 99 mg daily. Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables everyday, and if you wish, you can also take a multi-vitamin. Taking excessive amounts of potassium can disrupt your electrolyte balance and significantly affect your heart condition. Potassium supplements or tablets are recommended for people who are on certain diuretics with no potassium content like Lasix.
Signs of Potassium Deficiency How do you know you're deficient in potassium?The answer: when you frequently have…
- Chronic fatigue
- Intestinal pain
- Eye sore and eye pain
- Swollen glands
- Bluish skin color
- Painful breathing
- Poor circulation
- Fluid retention
If You Need Potassium Supplements or Potassium TabletsSince potassium is a vital electrolyte for optimal health and wellness, choose a potassium supplement that is manufactured with the highest standards. Many of the potassium supplements that are made in America are manufactured to the highest standards such as the ones endorsed by the pharmaceutical industry's Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). You can also ensure that because of the synergy involved in minerals, it is important that your potassium supplements have been developed and formulated by reputable scientists whose expertise lie in this particular field. Potassium supplements that are not scientifically tested generally show poor bio-availability – this means that most of the ingredients used to manufacture the supplement pass through the body without delivering tangible benefits.
- Pure Encapsulations - Magnesium EasySticks - 30 PacksMagnesium blend in a great-tasting, direct-to-mouth powder delivery form with no mixing needed Learn MoreYour Price $37.30
- Thorne Research - Potassium Citrate - 90 CapsulesSupports skeletal muscle function and cardiovascular health. Learn More
- Pure Encapsulations - Potassium/Magnesium (citrate) - 180 CapsulesSupports a number of physiological functions, including cardiovascular health and muscle function Learn MoreYour Price $26.40
- Pure Encapsulations - Potassium/Magnesium (aspartate)Supports a number of physiological functions, including cardiovascular health and muscle function Learn More
Starting at $15.50
- Pure Encapsulations - Potassium (aspartate) - 90 CapsulesYour Price $13.50
- Integrative Therapeutics - Krebs Magnesium-Potassium Complex - 120 TabletsProvides minerals to support healthy heart muscle function Learn MoreYour Price $16.50
- Douglas Laboratories - Potassium Chelated - 100 CapsulesPotassium 99 mg Chelated capsules supply 99 mg of elemental potassium chelate complex. Learn MoreYour Price $13.20
- Douglas Laboratories - Mg-K Aspartate - 100 TabletsMg-K Aspartate tablets deliver 100 mg of elemental magnesium and 99 mg of elemental potassium in their bioavailable aspartate forms. Learn MoreYour Price $14.60
- DC Labs - Potassium Gluconate (Chelated) - 100 TabletsPotassium is needed for the proper functioning of the heart, nervous system, fluid balance, insulin balance, blood pH and proper fluid balance. Learn MoreYour Price $11.52
- DaVinci Labs - Potassium Aspartate+ - 90 Capsules