Natural Calcium SupplementsCalcium is one of the most important and abundant minerals in the body. It is absorbed in the small intestine, and this process is dependent on vitamin D. To provide the rigid structure of the skeleton calcium is vital. Approximately 3 pounds of the body's weight is calcium, 99 % being in the teeth and bones. Calcium is important in growing children to help bones grow and in the elderly, as the ability to absorb calcium becomes impaired with age.
Functions of CalciumTogether with magnesium, calcium is needed for nerves and muscles to function properly. It also helps to maintain the right acid/alkaline balance and helps blood to clot. An adult needs a daily calcium intake of between 700 and 1000mg. Those at risk of osteoporosis may need as much as 1500mg a day. This protection is boosted when combined with linoleic acid from evening primrose oil. Calcium and phosphorus work together on a ratio of two to one for healthy teeth and bones and calcium and magnesium work together for cardiovascular health. The two most deficient minerals in a woman's diet are calcium and iron.
Calcium supplements have been shown to protect against pre-eclampsia which is high blood pressure in pregnancy. It is a good idea to increase calcium consumption during the last three months of pregnancy and the first few months of lactation to ensure that the baby gets sufficient amount of calcium to help bone development and growth. If the baby doesn't get enough calcium from its mother, it will be withdrawn from the mother's bones, possibly leading to bone disease in the future.
Signs of prolonged calcium deficiency are rickets, osteomalacia and osteoporosis.
Calcium, like sodium and potassium, contributes to both extracellular and intracellular cell environment. Calcium is also needed as intercellular cement to keep the cells of the body together. It also controls fluid to allow enzyme reaction to take place. Calcium is vital for the contraction of muscle. The brain sends nerve impulses that release calcium in the muscle which triggers muscle reactions. Calcium also helps to control cholesterol.
Calcium helps in the process of secretion: bile, pancreatic fluid, gastric, intestinal, hormonal and mucous all rely on calcium to move the small droplets through the cells boundaries and cell walls.
View as List Grid
Items 1-20 of 29
- Dr. Mercola - Calcium with Vitamins D3 & K2 - 30 CapsulesPerfect Balance of Bone Health-Supporting Nutrients* Learn MoreYour Price $33.98
- Thorne Research - Calcium D-Glucarate - 90 CapsulesSupports hormone metabolism and liver detoxification. Learn More
- Pure Encapsulations - Calcium with Vitamin D3 - 180 CapsulesHighly absorbable calcium combined with vitamin D3 to support bone and colon health; may reduce the risk of osteoporosis Learn MoreYour Price $26.60
- Integrative Therapeutics - Calcium D-Glucarate - 90 CapsulesPromotes healthy estrogen metabolism Learn MoreYour Price $40.90
- Douglas Laboratories - Osteo-Support Formula - 120 Tablets
Osteo-Support Formula™ is a comprehensive combination of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, herbals, and other nutrientsLearn MoreYour Price $38.20
- Douglas Laboratories - Osteo-Guard Plus Ipriflavone - 120 TabletsCombines ipriflavone, a flavonoid, with calcium from microcrystalline calcium hydroxyapatite compound (MCHC) prepared from whole bone, and magnesium from amino acid chelate with excellent bioavailability. Learn MoreYour Price $42.00
- Douglas Laboratories - Calcium Microcrystalline HydroxyapatiteCalcium Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite supplies 500 mg of elemental calcium from 2,000 mg of microcrystalline hydroxyapatite (MCHC) Learn More
Starting at $19.30
- Douglas Laboratories - Calcium D-Glucarate - 90 CapsulesCalcium D-Glucarate is a supplement of D-glucaric acid bound to calcium. Learn MoreYour Price $65.40
- DC Labs - Super-Cal-600 (High Potency Liquid Calcium)
- DC Labs - Reinforcer For The Bones with Hydroxyapatite - 120 Tablets