In recent years, the number of people transitioning to organic hair products has increased tremendously. Within the next six years, the market for natural hair care products is estimated to increase as a greater portion of millennials and Gen X are buying natural grooming products as opposed to chemical-ridden goods1.
Inorganic hair products contain chemicals that do more harm than good. These ingredients, such as sulfates, mineral oils, and parabens, can lead to skin irritation, dry scalp, and hair loss1. Sulfates, in particular, strip the hair of natural oils and proteins, which results in hair thinning, dryness, and split ends2. The chemicals do more than damage your hair. Once rinsed, they enter the water stream through the drain and pollute natural bodies of water.
On the other hand, the organic components of natural shampoos and conditioners should not damage the hair and its follicles. Natural hair products contain vitamin E, which may facilitate hair growth and maintain hair and scalp health. These products might also balance the pH of the hair and scalp and soothe frizzy, dry hair3.
What to look for
When buying natural hair care products, it is important to check the ingredients list for unwanted components, including siloxanes, retinyl palmitate, and those listed above. Desired ingredients include coconut oil, aloe vera, shea butter, and organic tea tree oil3.
Products to consider
Fundamental Shampoo with Kukui Nut Oil
This shampoo is sulfate-free and contains organic ingredients that could prevent and reverse the damage caused by harsh chemicals. The special ingredient, Kukui oil, has been used in Hawaii to restore hair damaged by the sun and wind. It contains antioxidants, vitamins, and fatty acids that might be crucial to hair health2.
Organic Excellence – Mint Shampoo
Organic Excellence is a chemical-free shampoo that focuses on restoring shine and growth to damaged hair. The shampoo employs an olive oil, coconut oil, and potassium lactate blend to replace sulfates and to attempt to decrease hair frizz4.
The Honest Co – Shampoo + Body Wash and Conditioner
This brand is great for people of any age, especially those with sensitive skin. Founded by Jessica Alba, The Honest Co produces sulfate-free products that utilize natural ingredients, including almond oil, Jojoba, aloe vera, and coconut oil. Free of harsh chemicals, these products protect hair and skin from artificial irritants5.
- Natural Hair Care Product Market Size Report, 2020-2027. Grand View Research. (2020, August). https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/natural-hair-care-products-market.
- Fundamental Shampoo (Lavender). EarthTurns. (n.d.). https://www.earthturns.com/fundamental-shampoo-lavender.
- Yates, W. (2018). Why It’s Important to Use Natural Hair Care Products. Your Hair Loss Expert. https://www.yourhairlossexpert.com/Why-Its-Important-to-Use-Natural-Hair-Care-Products.aspx.
- The Importance of Choosing Sulfate Free Shampoo. Organic Excellence. (2014, March 14). https://www.organicexcellence.com/blogs/news/the-importance-of-choosing-sulfate-free-shampoo.
- Baby Shampoo + Body Wash. Honest. (n.d.). https://www.honest.com/baby-products/baby-personal-care/baby-shampoo-and-body-wash/two-in-one-shampoo-and-body-wash.html
* The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated any statements on this website. Dietary supplement products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.