7 Winter Skin Tips
During the winter, our skin loses moisture and can become dry. This type of cold weather and environment can cause serious damage to your skin and cause a dry and itchy feeling. This “winter skin” can cause you to scratch and cause even more damage to your skin.
Finding ways to ease the itch can save your skin this winter and a little bit of your sanity.
- Lukewarm – Try to shower with warm water that feels relaxing, but not too hot. The hotter your water, the drier your skin will become. Hot water will strip your skin of oils and moisture protection.
- Moisturize – Obviously, lotion will help to seal in moisture and protect dry skin. However, making sure to apply it directly after the shower is the major tip. The skin being damp will add to the moisture that is locked into the skin and protected with lotion. Keep a bottle of lotion in the shower to remind yourself to apply directly after showering. Also, pick a lotion that is oil-based and not petroleum-based, which can dry out skin even further.
- Hydrate – Make sure to hydrate from the inside to the outside by drinking plenty of water. You should get at least six glasses a day and you can even get some warm water to keep yourself hydrated and warm at the same time.
- Moisture to the Air – Invest in a humidifier to add some moisture into the
air and into your lungs. The air that we breathe can become cold and dry and you may even wake up with a dry throat. Adding some moisture to the air will help you breathe better and let your skin feel less dry.
- Supplements – There are several supplements that can provide moisture from the inside. One of these supplements is omega-3 fatty acids. One product is by DaVinci Labs – Omega 3 HP-D. This product has the power of omega 3 with the addition of vitamin D3. It helps to aid with absorption through the digestive process and aids in moisture retention. DC Labs has a product called Citro-1000 vitamin C, which helps to provide production of elastin and collagen. It helps to strengthen your skin and protect yourself from outside damage. Vitamin C also has the power to boost your immune system.
- Rotate Cleansers – There are some cleansers made for exfoliation and some cleansers meant for hydration and others meant for anti-aging properties. Using one product for anti-aging with salicylic acid, can cause severe drying of skin. Over-hydrating or over-exfoliation can cause redness, irritation, and even acne. Rotate cleansers to ensure that your skin is getting the exfoliation it needs with a little bit of moisture and wrinkle-fighting power.
- Dye and Fragrance-Free – Try to go natural as much as possible to keep harmful irritants away from your skin. These dyes and fragrances can cause redness and irritation to skin, which can cause dryness and winter skin issues. Mild cleansers are the best way to ensure clean skin and healthy skin.