8 Tips to Healthier Kidneys
Our kidneys are located near the middle of the back and below the rib cage. They are basically our filters of trash. They process blood and sift through waste and extra water, which flows to your bladder and is stored until urination occurs.
Our kidneys are protecting our body from waste and toxins, so we need to ensure we are treating our kidneys well.
Here are some tips to keep your kidneys working at their best.
- Hydrate – We always hear that our bodies need water and that we need to stay hydrated. That is why it is important to drink 4-6 glasses of water a day. If you drink more water than that in a day, you will not enhance kidney function, but you may cause the kidneys to work much harder than necessary for no added benefit.
- Eat Well – Eating a healthy and balanced diet is a way to keep your body working at its best. Kidney problems are most likely caused by diabetes or high blood pressure. Keeping your weight under control and blood pressure at proper levels will help to keep your kidneys in shape.
- See your Doc – Get your yearly check up to see how your kidneys are doing. They will test urine for albumin, which is a protein that increases if the kidneys are damaged. There is a blood test for creatinine that monitors how well waste is being removed by the kidney, as creatinine is a waste product.
- Exercise – Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the best ways to keep your kidneys working at their best. Weight gain and obesity can put you at risk for high blood pressure and diabetes, which are a major factor in kidney disease.
- Cease Smoking – Smoking is unhealthy in every aspect. It affects medicines used to treat high blood pressure and it slows the blood flow to important organs like the kidneys.
- Watch out for certain medications – Be careful with taking certain medications like ibuprofen and naproxen that can cause kidney damage if they are taking for an extended period of time. If you are taking them for chronic pain, it may be worthwhile to find alternative ways to deal with the pain you are experiencing to save your kidneys.
- Diet – There are certain diets that can aggravate and damage your digestive tract. Eating organically when possible is a way to cut out pesticides and food additives that may damage your body. It is also best to avoid refined sugars and flours that can cause inflammation.
- Supplements – There are supplements that can help flush your kidneys and ensure that it is working properly. Solaray has a product called Kidney Blend SP-6 that promotes kidney health and function and urinary tract health. It has corn silk, juniper, kelp, parsley and other natural ingredients that offer support to the kidneys and urinary tract. These capsules are wonderful for providing protection from kidney damage and boosts the productivity of the urinary system with no side effects or drug interactions.