Feel Better When You Have a Cold
Colds are an annoying part of life and with no cure in sight, we have to have remedies on hand to help with the severity and duration of cold symptoms. There are many tips out there to try and prevent colds, like washing your hands often, not touching your face, and boosting your immune system with vitamins. However, finding relief after the cold hits is a different story. Determining which products to use can be challenging and finding all-natural products that are actually helpful is also hard to achieve. Below are some options to help beat your cold the natural way.
- Blow your Nose Correctly – This is a strange, but valid point. Take the time to blow your nose and not sniffle mucus back into your sinuses. If you blow your nose too hard, you can get an earache from the pressure. The best way to blow your nose is to blow gently out of one nostril at a time. Also, make sure to wash your hands afterwards to prevent reinfection.
- Get Some Rest – When your body is sick, your immune system is under attack. Let your body fight at full strength by getting some rest and not making your body work overtime. Resting up can recharge your system and allow it to work even better, which should decrease the severity and duration of the common cold.
- Zinc – We all know that zinc is a wonderful mineral that has been used in fighting the common cold. DaVinci Labs has a zinc lozenge product that dissolves easily in the mouth. It has a wonderful boost for your immune system. This lozenge also helps to soothe sore throats. Zinc is thought to fight the cold process by not allowing the rhinovirus to replicate and lodge into the mucous membrane.
- Gargle – Gargling with a salt water can help to ease the throat pain that comes with a cold. You can also add in some lemon juice and honey to warm water to help with any throat pain. It also helps to loosen any mucous that might be trying to cause congestion. There is also a Tea Tree oil mouthwash that have antiseptic properties.
- Warm Drinks – Drinking warm liquids can help to relieve nasal congestion and prevent dehydration in the body. It can also soothe inflamed membranes in the sinuses and throat.
- Steam Showers – There are also steam showers that can help to moisturize your nasal passages and even relax you. Steam can also be soothing and a powerful decongestant.
- Hot/Cold Compresses – Alternating hot or cold compresses can help your sinuses feel more comfortable. It will help to relieve congestion or inflammation, depending on what you are experiencing during your cold.
- Elevate Head – Take an extra pillow and elevate your head while sleeping to keep your nasal passages draining. Try not to make the angle awkward or it can cause an uncomfortable night of sleep.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Taking some vinegar with water and a little honey can create an alkaline environment in the body, which kills bacteria and viruses more easily.