What are Adrenal Glands?
Adrenal glands are endocrine glands found above each of the kidneys. They are responsible for producing a variety of hormones including adrenaline and steroids like cortisol and aldosterone. The adrenal cortex produces three different types of steroid hormones: androgens, mineralocorticoids, and glucocorticoids. These type of steroids are produced in the adrenal cortex and its different regions, zona reticularis, zona glomerulosa, and zona fasciculate.
- Androgens – These hormones are known as the sex hormones in the gonads and other target organs. They are produced in the zona reticularis, the innermost layer of the adrenal cortex.
- Mineralocorticoids – This section of the adrenal cortex is known as the zona glomerulosa. It produces hormones like aldosterone. It helps to regulate blood pressure and electrolytes.
- Glucocorticoids – This section of the adrenal cortex is known as the zona fasciculate. It produces cortisol and corticosterone. They help with regulation of immune systems and metabolism.
What Happens if Adrenal Glands Malfunction?
When adrenal glands have dysfunction, there are many things that can go wrong.
Here are a few examples:
- Cushing’s syndrome – This is a syndrome that occurs by an overproduction of the hormone cortisol. It has symptoms of a round red face, abdominal obesity with thin arms and legs, and high blood pressure. This is often a treatable condition that can be controlled with prescription medication.
- Addison’s disease – This is a disease that occurs by an underproduction of cortisol. It has symptoms of weight loss, abdominal pain, and weakness. Boosting cortisol levels can help to balance out this disease, but it is usually a long-term disorder.
- Adrenal Fatigue – This condition is really just a collection of symptoms that has been coined adrenal fatigue. These symptoms include body aches, fatigue, nervousness, sleep disturbances, and even digestive problems. This condition is not an accepted medical diagnosis, but more than likely caused by an underlying adrenal deficiency. Stress is often the cause of this type of condition.
Supplements to Support Adrenal Glands
- Adrenal Caps by Solaray – Adrenal Caps is an actual raw gland that has been freeze-dried to preserve enzyme activity and is of high concentration. It also has proprietary herb activators that includes licorice, clove, eleuthero root, and gotu kola. The adrenal glands are bovine in nature and the product is made in the USA.
- Adrenal by DC Labs – This is not only an adrenal raw gland supplement, it is also a synergistic blend that helps with adrenal fatigue. It contains vitamin C, pantothenic acid, parsley, and calcium. They work together to support adrenal function and hormone production. This product is also made in America.
- Fundamental Adrenal by Fundamental Earth – This blend of adaptogens can help with adrenal fatigue. This all-natural product contains vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12, biotin, pantethine, eleutherococcus sinesis root, ashwagandha extract, phosphatidylserine, panax ginseng, and licorice.
Adrenal glands are important to the health of our hormones in our body. Although there are conditions that may occur, there are natural alternatives that can help regulate the body and the adrenal glands.