Vegan Recipe ~ Serves 4
Most people only think about crisp cool salads in the summer, and the thought of coming in from the frigid air to a big salad bowl may not seem so appealing. However, what if your bowl was filled with warm roasted vegetables, seasoned with savory herbs and spices and fresh greens, providing a hearty alternative to heavy soups, stews and roasted meats? If that hits the spot for you, give this recipe a try!
Warm Winter Salad Ingredients:
- 2 carrots (coarsely chopped in big pieces)
- 3 stalks of celery (coarsely chopped in big pieces)
- 2 beets (coarsely chopped in big pieces) 2 medium sized red potatoes (cut in half)
- 2 large sweet onions (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 2 cups of whole crimini mushrooms (button mushrooms will do)
- 2 zucchinis (coarsely chopped in big pieces)
- 1 fennel (coarsely chopped in big pieces)
- 2 Japanese (or Italian) eggplant (coarsely chopped in big pieces)
- 2 cups of arugula
- 3 sprigs of rosemary + 3 sprigs of thyme (coarsely chopped and rubbed to release oils)
- ¼ cup coconut oil + 5 tbsp coconut oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp of fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of cooked cannellini beans (set aside)
- 2 cloves of raw garlic
- Sprigs of one stalk of rosemary (stalk removed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a large sheet pan by lining with 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix all vegetables and herbs together in a large bowl along with 3 tbsp. of coconut oil, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of orange juice plus salt and pepper to taste. Spread this mixture on to the sheet pan and reduce heat to 375. Roast vegetables for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine, the cannellini beans, sprigs of rosemary, garlic, the rest of the orange juice, lemon juice and vegetable broth in a blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
Prepare 4 large bowls with fresh arugula (or baby spinach as a substitute). Spoon warm roasted vegetables over the arugula and top with the mixture from the blender.
For a heartier meal feel free to serve with warm polenta, mashed sweet potatoes or add a meat such as grilled lamb, chicken, beef or fish.