Delicious Vegan Recipe
Packed full of fresh garden vegetables and hearty lentils, this warm, savory dish is perfect for giving your family and friends a pot of something wonderful and healthful to gather around. The recipe below includes a list of specific vegetables and spices, but feel free to add others, substitute and use your favorites to make your signature lentil chili dish.
Spicy Lentil Chili Ingredients:
- 2 cups of lentils (any variety)
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 yellow squash, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms (either button, shitake, Portobello or combination)
- ½ chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 5 small plum tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 2 cups of fresh spinach or kale
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or wine vinegar)
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste (or to desired thickness)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sautee fresh vegetables over medium heat (except for spinach or kale) in a small amount of grape seed or light olive oil until vegetables are slightly soft. Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium high. Bring to a low boil and add lentils and all other ingredients (except the spinach or kale). Simmer the chili for 20 – 45 minutes, then add spinach or kale and mix well just before serving. If using kale instead of spinach, you may cook for another 5 – 10 minutes to soften a little if desired.
You may serve with an addition of hot sauce, maple syrup and/or grated cheese such as Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby, etc.