Protect Your Vision
Our eyes are the windows to the world. We need to have clear and proper vision to see the cues and signs that occur in the world today. Straining vision is one of the challenges of new technology in the world today. We sit in front of TV’s, computer screens, and phone screens and have to be careful we are protecting our eyes at the same time. Here are some helpful tips to ensure your eyes are functioning at their best.
- Quit Smoking – There are many reasons to kick the habit and stop smoking, but the increase in cataracts is much higher in smokers. You can also get damage to your optic nerve and obtain macular degeneration through the effects of smoking. Try and try to quit and you may just be successful at saving your eyesight and more importantly your health.
- Sunglasses – We all use sunscreen to protect our skin from the dangers of UVA and UVB rays, but we tend to forget to protect our eyes. Sunglasses are the best ways to protect the damaging rays of the sun. Polarized lenses reduce glare while you drive.
- Eat Well – A balanced diet is the best way to maintain proper health. Eye health is a part of your overall health. There are certain types of vitamins that are more helpful than others for the eyes. Omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E can be very helpful to the health of your eyes. There are also supplements by DC Labs called Eyebright. This all-natural leaf is incredible for eyesight, because it contains vitamins and minerals that can keep eyes healthier.
- Take Computer Breaks – It is important to take breaks from the computer screen. Staring at computer screens can cause dry eyes, blurry vision, eyestrain, trouble focusing at distances, headaches, and neck and back pain. To protect your eyes, make sure your glasses and contacts are up-to-date with prescriptions. Consider computer glasses for eye strain. Take breaks to minimize eye strain by looking away from the screen every 20 minutes. Try and blink more to keep the eyes hydrated. Make sure the chair you are sitting in is comfortable, so your feet can sit flat on the floor.
- Visit your Eye Doctor Regularly – Even if you are a small child, eye visits are important to catch any eye disease or conditions that may be developing. It is also imperative to have prescription lenses in place for eye changes to prevent severe damage that may occur. As your eyes age, they change in prescription needs as well.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight – By staying a healthy weight, your body will maintain health and proper functioning. If you are overweight, diabetes can become a serious problem that affects eyesight and overall health.
- Protective Eyewear – Make sure that you are protecting your eyes in whatever job you are performing. Goggles and safety glasses are important to protect your eyes from the strains of your everyday job.