Natural and Chemical Free Shampoo
Natural shampoo and chemical free shampoo are a great way to revitalize and refresh your hair after years of damage from the elements and even regular shampoos. That’s right: regular shampoo can damage your hair. While regular shampoos wash your hair they also bathe it in chemicals that can damage the hair, and these chemicals are absorbed into the body where they can cause harm to your health. Natural shampoos are essential to maximizing your hair health, and they are also a great way to reduce your consumption of chemicals. Brands such as Fundamental Earth, Beecology, and Organic Excellence are natural, chemical free, and safe for just about everybody.
What to Look for in a Natural Shampoo
Natural shampoos contain ingredients that are beneficial to the health of your hair, and many of them, like olive or coconut oil, are traditionally used in hair rejuvenation and health treatments. Many shampoos advertise as natural, but they actually aren’t completely natural. It is important to read the ingredients list, and when shopping for a good natural shampoo there are a number of ingredients that should be sought. These include:
- Coconut Oil helps to strengthen and nourish the hair. It contains Vitamin E, which helps to improve the hair, and coconut oil can help the hair to retain moisture. It works better than most conditioners, and it may reduce dandruff.
- Olive Oil is one of the best ingredients for the hair. It may help to moisturize and make the hair healthier. Olive oil helps to fight split ends, and it can help with dandruff by moisturizing the scalp. Olive oil may also soften the hair and add a healthy shine.
- B Vitamins, like niacin and biotin, can also be beneficial for the hair. Niacin helps to condition the hair, and many people use it to help with hair loss, although more research is needed. Biotin may strengthen the hair and help with a dry scalp. Biotin can help to promote proper hair growth, and it may help with hair conditions, like alopecia.
- Aloe Vera is an ingredient that may nourish and revitalize the hair. It helps to moisturize the scalp, and it may help to reduce dandruff. Aloe vera may even help with hair loss, and it could make the hair look shinier and healthier.
- Olive Leaf Extract helps to add a healthy shine to the hair and it may make the hair softer. It can also help to nourish and protect the scalp from damage.
- Vegetable Glycerin is found in many natural shampoos, and it can help to fight brittle and straw-like hair by adding moisture to the scalp and hair. It may relieve dandruff or an itchy and dry scalp. Vegetable glycerin can also help with split ends and breakage.
- Ginger Extract may speed up hair growth, and it is a great conditioner. It may help with dandruff, and it may also help with hair loss.
- Lavender Oil can help with dandruff, and it may give the hair a natural shine. It is also a great natural fragrance that gives the hair a refreshing and light scent. There are many more natural fragrances that can be a great additive to natural shampoos.
These are some of the most beneficial ingredients that can be found in natural shampoos. While regular shampoos only clean the hair, these ingredients actually support and can improve the health of the hair and scalp. Shampoo brands like Fundamental Earth, Organic Excellence, or Beecology are a great source for many of these nourishing and beneficial ingredients.
The Harms of Regular Shampoo
Even more important than finding a shampoo with beneficial and natural ingredients is to find a shampoo that doesn’t contain potentially harmful chemicals. Many of the most popular shampoo brands include chemicals that can cause skin irritations, disrupt the endocrine system, and sometimes even cause cancer.
When a bottle of shampoo is opened one of the first things to hit your senses is the heavenly aroma. Whether it’s orange-vanilla, coconut, or any of the other hundred scents, most shampoos use artificial fragrances. Although they smell great, artificial fragrances may be harmful to the body. They have been known to induce vomiting and they may also cause skin irritations or rashes.
Shampoos can last on the shelves for months before they are sold, so they need to contain preservatives. Parabens are found in many cosmetic products, including shampoos, and they are used as a cheap and artificial preservative. Parabens can remain in the body over long periods of time, and when the Centers for Disease Control studied adult urine they discovered parabens in almost all of the subjects. Parabens are cause for concern, because they can disrupt hormone activity. They are believed to mimic estrogen within the body, and parabens are frequently found in breast cancer tumors.
Perhaps one of the most dangerous chemicals found in shampoos is sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). SLS is one of the most common chemical additives, because it is a cheap cleaner. Many companies use SLS to cut costs, and when it isn’t in shampoo it is commonly used as an engine degreaser. SLS does help to remove oil from the hair, but it is also harmful to the body. SLS is a skin irritant, and it can lead to rashes. Some studies even suggest that it could cause cancer, and it is also believed that SLS introduces nitrates to the blood stream and it may cause damage to the eyes.
Another chemical used to remove grease and oil from the hair is polyethylene glycol (PEG). PEG may increase the risk of cancers, and some studies have lead researchers to believe that it could hinder the immune system and damage the kidneys.
These are only a few of the many harmful chemicals that can be found in regular shampoos. These chemicals can cause a wide range of damage to the body. Whether these chemicals cause skin irritations or cancer they should be avoided.
Shampoos sold nationwide can have chemicals that may harm your body. Even when a shampoo is advertised as natural it might not be. Finding a good natural and chemical free shampoo can be daunting, but EarthTurns has accumulated some of the finest shampoos from brands that you can trust. Fundamental Earth, Organic Excellence, and Beecology are all brands that utilize natural ingredients without any harmful chemicals, and they are a safe and effective alternative to chemical ridden shampoos.