Warm Roasted Salad
Salads are ever-present among healthy eaters, especially as the summer months roll in, warming us up, and we just want to cool down. However, while salads are refreshing, sometimes a warm meal feels more satisfying. Here is the best of both—a warm roasted salad, hearty enough to serve as an entrée yet light enough for an evening summer meal .
Warm Roasted Salad Ingredients:
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potato(s), cut into 2” chunks
- 1 sweet onion
- 4 cups of halved crimini (or button) mushrooms
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 zucchinis cut into 8ths
- 4 yellow squash cut into quarters
- 2 bell peppers cut into 2” chunks (any color)
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 2” chunks
- 8 cups of chopped kale (very large pieces)
- 1 full head of garlic (slice off top and drizzle with oil (coconut, grape seed, etc.)
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of grape seed or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 inch of fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- ½-1 cup of raw nuts… your favorite (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, pine nuts…)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss all ingredients together—withholding the nutritional yeast, kale and basil. Place on a single layer on a half sheet pan (cookie sheet). Roast ingredients for 20 minutes.
Toss in kale and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and add fresh basil and nutritional yeast. Toss all together and serve.
Serve with a protein such as roasted salmon, chicken, shrimp or steak. Or add an inch of goat cheese or blue cheese as a side accompaniment.