Hearty Roasted Vegetable Wrap
Lunchtime is often the busiest meal time, and nutritionists state that it is a critical time of the day to ensure that you have enough fuel to keep you active and alert. However, too often lunch is comprised of sandwiches, burgers, fried chicken nuggets and opening little packages of processed crackers, meat and cheese. For the more health-conscious among us, salads seem to be the ever-popular go-to lunch.
Sometimes, though, the salad just isn't enough. It's a long day, and you'd like something hearty, filling yet healthful and tasty. Here is one option:
Hearty Roasted Vegetable Wrap Ingredients & Instructions
- 4 large collard leaves, remove center to about half way up the leaves. Blanch in salted boiling water or vegetable broth until dark green and pliable, then remove from boiling water and place in ice bath or chill under cool running water. Pat dry.
- 6 cups of raw, hearty, coarsely chopped vegetables. Roast at 380 degrees, vegetables such as eggplant, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc.
Toss with a small amount of Tamari or soy sauce, vinegar such as apple cider (or use lemon or lime juice) and oil such as coconut or grape seed (about a teaspoon of each).
- Season with herbs such as Italian seasoning or basil, rosemary, parsley, sage and thyme along with spices such as garlic, chili flakes, paprika, etc.
- For added flavors and textures feel free to add raw nuts, cooked beans, lentils or even hummus as well as fresh vegetables such as lettuce, onions and sprouts to the final.
* For a non-vegan option, add cheese such as goat or feta or even a meat such as chicken or shrimp.
All you have to do to assemble the wrap is to lay out the collard leaves and place about 1 1/2 cups of cooked vegetables and any additional ingredients you desire into the center of each leaf, and fold up the collard leaves like a burrito. It will taste great hot or cold.Enjoy!