DC Formula 390 - 90 Tablets
DC B-Complex with 200 mg of Vitamin CDC Formula 390 is made by Dee Cee Labs and is a B Complex with Vitamin C.
Are you getting enough vitamin B in your diet?
The name 'vitamin B' actually refers to a collection of B vitamins, which are known together as the vitamin B complex. Before the days of being able to study in detail the chemical structures involved in the many metabolic processes within our bodies, it was thought that vitamin B was a 'vital amine' that came from foods such as rice and bread yeast. We know differently now of course, as the repertoire of essential substances required by the body continues to expand. Hence, the B vitamins are in fact varied in their function and structure, unified only by their name which distinguishes them from vitamin C. Vitamin C and the B vitamins are the only water soluble vitamins, the others (A, D, E and K) are soluble in fat.
What Do the B Vitamins Do?
Although vitamin B was discovered to be in fact many different vitamin Bs, each is of critical value to the body. They each have alternative names that are related to their structure.
- Vitamins B1 and B2 - thiamin and riboflavin - both of these vitamins are involved in the production of energy. They are also involved in enzymatic processes of the heart, nerves and muscles.
- Vitamin B3 - niacin - this is important for cardiovascular health and has a role in many other processes in the body, including the nervous system and digestive system.
- Vitamin B5 - pantothenic acid - this is known to be involved in development and the breaking down of fatty acids, as well as in many other biological reactions.
- Vitamin B6 - pyroxidine - this vitamin plays a role in the breaking down of protein, and is crucial for maintaining a healthy population of red blood cells, which carry oxygen around the body.
- Vitamin B7 - biotin - like pyroxidine, biotin is involved in breaking down protein, and it is also necessary in the production of hormones.
- Vitamin B9 - folic acid - perhaps the most widely known of the B vitamins, folic acid is recommended during pregnancy for its involvement in DNA replication and to prevent birth defects.However, it also plays a role in maintaining red blood cell numbers.
- Vitamin B12 - cobalamin - like many other B vitamins, cobalamin has a variety of roles in the body. It is thought to have a crucial role in the function of the nervous system as well as being involved in red blood cell production.
The truth is that our body's reserves of Vitamin C can fluctuate according to how much is needed to support the immune system, scavenge free radicals, normalize cholesterol and sugar metabolism and repair wounds.
Thus, in an optimal state of health and lack of stress an individual's
bodily requirement for Vitamin C could be in balance with his dietary
and supplementary intake. However, if this person suffered from hay
fever and was exposed to rag weed, or if he or came down with a nasty
cold, his/her immune system would require many times more Vitamin C in
order to restore good health. In other words, when under severe stress, the body can literally use up Vitamin C, which at other times it wouldn't need.
Should I be taking a vitamin B complex with Vitamin C supplement?
The array of B vitamins may be baffling, and looking at what products are on offer may be even more so. It is often difficult to know whether you are getting enough of certain vitamins in your diet. B vitamins are present in many different types of food and eating a varied diet rich in fruit, vegetable, whole grains and pulses, as well as a little meat, should be all your body requires. However, we do not always keep to good eating habits and at different times of the year the body's demands are different. Unless you have a serious deficiency it is pretty difficult to home in on which vitamins your body is lacking, but that does not mean that deficiency is uncommon.
Many people with low income, that may not have good access to fresh whole foods, in addition to those people with consistently poor eating habits, can be prey to such vitamin B and vitamin C deficiencies.
Mild B vitamin deficiency can cause symptoms of anemia, tiredness, depression, muscle cramps, hair loss and poor development in children. Unfortunately signs are often not recognized, especially when a person does not outwardly appear to be poorly nourished. Taking a vitamin B complex supplement can bolster levels of those B vitamins that you might be lacking, and there is no harm from taking in excess of what you need of others.
We now know that folic acid is essential for proper development of the neural tube (which is the fetus during the first stages of pregnancy). However more recently, it has also been linked with reduced risk of contracting certain forms of cancer. While not being effective in treating cancer, this finding is still excellent news for those with a family history of cancer that might be at particularly high risk.
DC Formula 390 is a B complex supplement with Vitamin C that is made in America to ensure quality, purity and safety.